ACs were working at full capacity, he didn't show symptoms of sickness: Event management company reacts to allegations of mismanagement after KK's demise


The unfortunate demise of singer Krishnakumar Kunnath, known as KK, has sent across a shock wave. He was just 53. Before breathing his last, KK was seen performing live at a concert in Kolkata on May 31. Soon after the news broke, several videos circulated on social media which shed light on the poor management and hospitality facilities. It looked like the ACs were not functioning in an overcrowded room. Reportedly, the venue's capacity is of 2400 people whereas over 7000 people were accommodated.  

Now, the event management company, BlackEyed Event House, has issued a detailed statement and addressed all the allegations levelled against them. On Facebook, the event management company answered all the questions raised by KK's fans and clarified that the ACs were functioning properly and the singer showed no symptoms of illness before going to the hotel. The team wrote, "We would like to apologise to everyone for this late post on the unfortunate mishap that happened after our show with KK sir. Since then, we have been busy with the formal procedures. We would like to state aforehand that our role in the entire event was that of artist coordination. We have had a very special bond with KK sir over the years and are shocked by his sudden demise. We have seen a lot of questions directed towards our event management company so we are stating our answers below."

Recommended Read: 'KK had heart blockages, could have been saved if CPR was given on time: Kolkata hospital's doctor

The event management company further added, "1. Were the ACs turned off? No, the ACs were running and working at their full capacity. Nazrul Mancha has a specific seating capacity of people but a few more people were forced into the auditorium. It’s very obvious that the auditorium having AC installed for a specific capacity of people cannot work properly when the crowd is exceeding the capacity. The venue was chosen by the college authorities and we had nothing to do with the choice of venue or the management of the venue infrastructure.

2. Was there any forced entry? Why was the crowd not managed?

Yes, there was forced entry into the auditorium. Starting from the outside gate to the auditorium gate there were bouncers and police force along with the college students union who did their best to actively manage the crowd. But the crowd was beyond their expectations and the crowd pelted stones at the volunteers to get entry. The police tried their best to manage the crowd wisely.

3. Was KK Sir forced to perform?

He was not forced to perform. Also, there was no communication from KK Sir or his band members that they wanted to stop the performance. KK sir thoroughly gave his best till the end and we , his manager and everyone associated with this show have supported him in all ways possible in our capacity.

4. Why was KK Sir not rushed to the hospital from Nazrul Mancha?

KK Sir did not any symptoms of sickness and performed vigorously till the very end. We have seen high performing artists picking up towels to wipe their faces in the past too; it does not necessarily indicate that the artist is showing symptoms of illness. After every rigorous show, we see the artists fatigued and escorted out as soon as possible. The videos that are being circulated on social media that KK sir was being rushed out because of chest pain are absolutely false and are not even from the 31st May show.

KK Sir went back to the hotel and has taken selfies with fans there too, before falling sick. His manager has also confirmed the same.

It’s an unfortunate loss for all of us, especially for 'us' because we have been associated with KK sir for a good number of years and had developed a personal bond with him. While we are mourning the loss of a dear one, we would like to request you to understand our situation and introspect if at all we deserve the hate campaign that some people have started on social media. If you find solace in doing this, we will be happy to bear the brunt of your anger.

Artist coordination was our responsibility and we have done the best possible."

KK suffered a massive cardiac arrest after the live concert. Reportedly, he complained of chest pain in the middle of his performance but like a thorough professional, he completed his scheduled performing time. At the hotel, his health deteriorated and before reaching the hospital, he breathed his last. The singer is survived by his wife, son and daughter. 

(Source: Facebook)